If you are planning on building a house from scratch, then one of the biggest dilemmas you will face is regarding what type of roof you should install. It is quite a tricky ordeal indeed when it comes to metal roofing.
Nowadays, there are many different types of roofing materials available; however, for the sake of this article, we will compare between the metal roofing and torch down roofing options. So which of these will be ideal for your house? Read along to find out the answer to that question.
Is your roof sloping or flat?
This is one of the most important factors which will decide on your roofing structure. If your roof is going to be low sloping or flat, only then does a torch down roof make sense. On the flip side, if your roof has a substantial slope, then you are better off with a metal roof. On the contrary to aluminum roofing this kind is stronger.
However, this criterion is not the only factor in deciding your roofing structure. In fact, there are many more things to consider, as we will see in the following sections.
Advantages Metal Roofing Has Over Torch Down Roofing
The following are the advantages metal roofing has over torch down roofing:
- Roof Installation: If you are planning on installing the roof yourself, then this is where the metal roofing option seems miles better compared to torch down roofing. If you are planning on going for a torch down roof, then make sure that you hire a roofing expert who has a strong background in installing torch down roofs.
- Fire Resistance: Metal roofs are completely resistant from fires, and if fire safety ranks high on your list, then we suggest you go for the metal roofing option. However, that is not to say that the torch down roof is not fire resistant. In fact, it is quite the contrary. Torch down roofs are fire-resistant as well but not to the same extent as metal roofs.
- Weight: Metal roofs are a lot more lightweight compared to the other roofing options available.
- Expected Life: This is another area where metal roofs outshine every other roofing material. While torch down roofs typically have a life expectancy of 10 to 20 years, metal roofs can last a whopping 40 to 70 years!
Advantages Torch Down Roofing Has Over Metal Roofing
The following are the advantages torch down roofing has over metal roofing:
- Tear and Puncture Resistant: Torch down roofs are resistant to damage from hailstones and other abrasive elements. That is something that cannot be said for metal roofs.
- Modifications: If you would like to make any modifications to your roof like adding a skylight, then it would be nearly impossible in the case of a metal roof without replacing it first. However, in the case of a torch down roof, modifications are easy to make. You can reapply the torch down material around the modification without any extra effort.
- Low Repair Cost and Price: As is evident from the previous factor, torch down roofs cost a lot less to repair. On the other hand, if a metal roof has suffered substantial damage, then repairing it might be out of the question. Moreover, the price of installing a torch down roof is a lot less compared to a metal roof. However, bear in mind that you need an expert in fitting torch down roofs to install it.
We believe that after reading this guide, you will be able to decide which roofing technique will be the best for you. We suggest you take your time to weigh in all the advantages and disadvantages of each roofing option before you lock down on one.